Monday, February 8, 2010

Update - The Shopping Ban (Jan- the end of Feb 2010)

The shopping ban is about half way over now, and I have been avoiding doing an update about it in depth for a few days because I really like to keep my blog a positive place, and I have nothing positive to say about the ban. If you don’t want to drown in the negativity, and you want to go ahead and bail now, I totally understand. I won’t be offended.

Not impressed
This is pretty much how I feel about it.

So it’s going well in that I am sticking to it. This is not all that remarkable given the situation. My husband is still unemployed and I don’t really have money to spend on clothes and accessories. I am also still without a car and have to hitch a ride with either my husband or a friend anywhere I go, and as everyone knows I am on a ban, it’s not like I could get them to take me to Forever XXI to misbehave. So ban or not I can't really buy things right now anyway. Putting myself under tight restrictions is just helping me stay on track with what I can afford. Which is pretty much nothing.

It’s not going well in that I’m kind of miserable. I feel stifled and suffocated. I am SO, SO bored. And I am having more and more trouble coming up with exciting ways to wear the same things over and over again. I think about shopping all the time. I don’t browse sites, other than a little browsing done to pick out a birthday handbag, and even that little bit made it harder. Actually, not looking is almost as hard as not buying, but looking would make not buying impossible.
We have tried thrift shopping a couple of times recently and I have had zero luck, and the lost day (I don’t actually enjoy thrifting unless I find something) frustrates me when think about it, since I could have stayed home and watched DVDs or painted or made a necklace. I don’t get a lot of down time (no one gets enough, am I right?) and I hate to waste it. We went just last Saturday and we had such bad luck we agreed to just give it up for a while.
So that’s where I’m at. I’m struggling. But I am sticking to it. I don’t like it. I feel equal parts proud and frustrated.

OK. Enough of that. Back to our regularly scheduled positivity and outfit posts to tomorrow.

18 comments:

Ana said...

I'm sorry you're frustrated, but you should feel proud that you're doing so well! Have you considered doing clothing swaps in the mail with other bloggers as a way to avoid buying new things but still getting to freshen up your wardrobe?

FutureLint said...

Sorry it is so frustrating! I am on a bit of a ban myself since I bought one very expensive plane ticket to South Korea and I know I'll want to buy a ton of stuff there - knowing that makes not shopping easier for me since there is a huge reward at the end! You can do it, it'll just make you even more creative in your outfits!

A said...

<3 <3 <3

Audi said...

I'm sorry to hear that the ban is such a negative experience right now, but you know, there may be lasting benefits once you're through all this, in terms of getting more out of the wardrobe you have. You're doing great so far!

In the meantime a clothing swap would be a great idea, as Ana suggested -- there's a clothing swap group on Flickr that you might try out, or do what Jane/Work That Wardrobe did and sell stuff on eBay to turn into a few new things. Even one or two new items might make a world of difference. Hang in there!

Goober said...

I've been trying to cut back on the spending, and it really does suck. This past weekend I was just miserable, I wanted to go shopping and buy things, lots and lots of things. There have probably been lots of weekends I have happily spent not spending money, but once I know I "can't" it becomes almost unbearable. I guess it's a lot like dieting - as soon as I say I can't spend/eat, that's all I want to do. So, um, yeah - this wasn't really an uplifting comment, more of an I-am-totally-with-you-sister comment :)

Unknown said...

I don't have anything helpful to say. But that is probably the best facial expression evar. I definitely compliment the fierce eyebrow action. <3

C said...

Yeah, during my stint in the unemployment world I ended up being on an unintentional shopping ban. It blew. I have no words of wisdom to share with you, because it blew so bad.

In other news, I love that picture of you!

Linda said...

OH COME ON ERIN! Suck it up and put on a bright face. Your "unhappy" pose is so freakin pretty I cannot get over it! You have perfect skin, perfect hair, a husband who loves you a puppy and a roof over your head. Sorry about all the gross positivity coming from here, but you have a solid wardrobe, you can make it work! Now throw on those sparkle butt leggings, a hot as shirt and dance around your living room to the groove of your favorite song.

Emily Kennedy said...

Aw sweetie! Suckfest!

I agree: when you can't do something that you want to do, for practical reasons, ugh, it's just the worst.

On the other hand, consider your successes: you are halfway there, you're still posting yeah yeah yeah, you are learning your own limits, you have pushed yourself and gotten results, you are really doing your best to support your sweetie in his time of need. You are rockin' it, and no matter how dark it gets, that light is right there.

myedit said...

Oh crap... that isn't sounding so fun! Well, all the best. I really hope that thrifting works out for you because it's a great and cheap fix (and wow, that makes shopping sound like a drug addiction, which it sometimes fells like...).

Anonymous said...

Aw, definitely a lot of things to mope about - but look on the upside!

You've got quite a closet. Remember to take risks and experiment with your fashion. Maybe layer a floaty top over a dress and belt it, turn some jewelry into hair accessories, hem a dress - just push your closet to its extreme. You've done so well! Keep on chugging along!

Plus, maybe with this bout of unemployment, appreciate the together time. My boyfriend and I are currently going through a rough patch because we're both so busy that one of us (usu. me) feels left out or ignored sometimes. Give your love a little extra love. It'll put a spark back in your life and his! =P I sound so cheesy. -J.

Kasmira said...

Have you considered raiding your husband's closet?

If you interested in swapping, I'd love to swap. For keeps or just to borrow.

Tina said...

Sorry it's such a bummer, but WAY TO GO for sticking to it!

I think Kasmira has a great suggestion - swap! I bet you have tons of friends and other fashion bloggers whose closet you can "shop" in. Wish I could offer mine up, but obviously all my stuff would swim on you.

Lorena said...

The ban itself can be frustrating and if you add the car issue and your husband's situation ... it must be very difficult.
Sometimes we get rough patches in the drive but, it will pass. It always does.
In the meantime I think the suggestion by Kasmira is a good one and also maybe you have friends-family that live nearby that could trade pieces with you...
Good luck! Hugs.

Anonymous said...

You're still a TOTAL star. And you'll feel amazing when you've completed the ban, I swear.

Una said...

Well, even with your gorgeous unhappy face, you've inspired me to try a ban myself. In the year or so since I've started reading fashion blogs (yours being one of the first), I have found myself needlessly obsessing over things I never even KNEW about before. I'm not sure it's good for me. I know it would be hard but I'd also feel better knowing I can exercise some self-control. Too bad what's good for us so rarely "feels" good. Thanks for being honest with us!

Rebecca said...

You're really building some inner strength and character, girl! Tough times call for tough people and you are toughening up!

I join the others who thing your picture is great! Your expression is priceless.

Courage, friend.

Rachael said...

You are so cute. With perfect brows!