Friday, January 7, 2011
'Cause Friends are Friends Forever
Just a little bit of me bein' me. (And Bill. Bill bein' awesome. It has nothing to do with the post. I just like this picture)
I’ve decided to jump on the Friend Friday Bandwagon. I’ve actually been a member of the Google Group for a few weeks but have been easing myself in to having a go at the questions, because they tend to cover stuff I normally would not go into on the blog. But here goes…
1. Have you ever looked at someone’s blog and thought yours will never measure up?
Oh my gosh. YES. Yes yes yes. Of course. It’s human nature. The point is to not focus on that. Acknowledge that feeling, and then move on. I don’t dwell on it.
2. Do you (did you) feel pressure to meet some kind of undefined standard for fashion bloggers?
Again, yes, but I try not to focus on it.
3. Many established fashion bloggers are also extraordinary DIYers, bakers, and crafty people. Do you think you need to combine all of these things to be successful at blogging?
No. I love when Suze does a DIY, or when Jen shows me what she had for dinner last night, or when Jentine gives thrifting advice. It’s great that they are good at those things and willing to share those skills and talents with the community. But it’s OK that I’m not good at the same things. (I am a great cook, *toot toot* but I don’t actually cook very often.) I’m really good at re-purposing jewelry. I’m proud of that, and I plan to do a post on how to in the near future. The fact that we are all so very different is what makes this community such a pleasure to be a part of.
4. The most successful blogs are the ones that have their own personal voice – how are you developing your voice or how did you find yours?
I try and write the blog the way I would speak. I don’t flower it up, I don’t avoid “like” and run on sentences. I just “be me”. My blog is different, I think because I’m me. And not you. But if pressed I’d say I do work wear, loosely within “business casual” but pushed to the absolute limit. I’m blessed to work somewhere that allows me to do that.
5. Toot your own horn… what’s one thing you do that is unique to you and your blog? What gives your blog an edge?
Me. But think about it. Isn’t that what makes a lot of blogs unique? Suze is so SUZE and Louise is so LOUISE and Kyla is so KYLA. And the girl is normally what I’m really interested in. Yes, I enjoy looking at clothes and seeing how people style things, but it’s always the girl herself that draws me in and ALWAYS always the girl herself that keeps me there, coming back day after day to read that blog again.
Labels: Friend Friday