Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Rules are For Fools, And Fool's Paradise is Hard to Find

Shortly before the TxSCC, Jentine challenged herself to thrift me a sequined top. I hear she tiptoed dangerously close to the deadline, but she totally came through!

March 22

And I, of course wore it to work. With cutoffs. Because I'm classy. In fact I was working at the buy counter that day and I had a wonderful seller come in with some fun sequins and lace and even a Betsy Johnson dress (new! with tags!) and she talked about how she loved all her sequins and lace and fun things, but where could she wear them? And I just pointed at my top. "The grocery store" I said. And she laughed, but I think I may have planted a seed. Sure there are "appropriate" times and places to wear your fancy duds...but who wants to wait?

March 22

I can't wait to style it up different ways as well. Skinny jeans, a body con black skirt, who knows? Black sequins are my new neutral.

March 22

I also wore dark blue boots with it. Because they were new to me and I wanted to and rules are for fools. I have been trying on every single pair of these little fringe boots that have come in since I started working at Buffalo Exchange and these fit really well.

boots, Buffalo Exchange

Nathan said he noticed them all over Austin and the thing was to wear them with cutoff shorts and super ripped up pattern tights. Have you seen this trend? Austin ladies? Was it a SXSW thing? I mean, I'll try anything once, but that sounds strange...

I wore my geode slice earrings...

earrings, self made

And this beautiful new pyrite and sterling silver ring I got from My Own Little Universe.* I love Katie. She's so talented and she is also beautiful, and smart and really genuine. I love love love knowing a little bit about the artists I buy my jewelry from!

Ring by My Own Litte Universe on Etsy

(I got al little carried away with the editing trying to obscure my dry winter hands! Sorry about that kids...)

Ring by My Own Litte Universe on Etsy

I love pyrite. And I love the color contrast of the pyrite against the darkened silver. She has another similar ring in the shop right now, so if you love it, hop on over and grab one for yourself!

Blouse, gift from My Edit (blog)
Shorts, Wal-Mart
Tights, Target
Boots, Buffalo Exchange
Earrings, self made
Ring, My Own Little Universe
Watch, Swatch

* I purchased this ring on my own, it was not a gift, and I was not compensated to promote MOLU. I just like Katie's work.

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rules ARE for fools. And I'm glad you planted the sequin seeds in that lady's brain. (That sounds like bad sci-fi, but you know what I mean.)

Loren said...

Sequins are like a pair or heels or a nice blazer. When you put them on you are instantly 'classier'. Love this outfit.
p.s. People in my town are also rocking the cutoffs + tights + boots. Although I have not seen the ripped tights yet. We are a little further north than Austin & it's still cold here I'm sure they will be out soon.

The Suburb Experiment said...

I love those geode earrings! My husband is a rock hound and I keep bugging him to put all the rocks to good use and make me some jewelry, or something. :)

That lady HAD to notice how cute and happy you look in your sequins! Hopefully she'll decide to go that route too!

Jenn

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I completely agree!! I love to see the sequin tops popping up in the daytime...you gave the customer sage advice!!

archives vintage said...

hells yeah to sequins at the grocery store!!! im all about it!

Anonymous said...

Sequins to the grocery store = best idea ever. For reals.

TrophyBoutique said...

You, me, AND Elyssa all did shorts with tights this week (mine will be seen on the blog tomorrow but I wore them yesterday). Great minds, is all!

As for the fringe boots, yes, they are everywhere in Austin, but I mostly see them (and lust for them) in stores, not on people, so maybe I don't get out enough...

I like the way you styled them, and I think I will wear my version (two-toned ankle height) today!

FutureLint said...

That top is awesome, Jentine is the queen of thrifted sequins! I love it with cutoffs and all your geology-ish jewelry is awesome!

Pink Chai said...

This look is so cute on you! Over the weekend I picked up a crazy sequined top and skirt with gold detailing and was going to hold onto it until holiday party time, but now I'm just wear it to the post office today!

Louise said...

Yes, yes, yes! MAKE the occasion to wear your special pieces! Give them a thrill, they don't come out much.

Also, you have the best jewelry.

Tiffany said...

Jentine deserves a high-five for that awesome find! I love how you styled it in your own way- this is exactly the outfit I would have imagined for you in a black sequin top (does that make sense?) Can't wait to see all the other ways you wear it.
Also, the grocery store commment embodies my entire style philosophy. We are so on the same page.

A said...

I realized a few years ago that I was a total idiot for getting rid of this AMAZING sequined cardigan I wore to prom. I'd thought I would never have anywhere to wear it again so I gave it away. I still get sad over that! Ugh.

Anyway, I love your sequin realness for the daytime!

(also, I am holding my breath waiting for pictures of your bangs to show up on here! EEEE!)

[SMASH] said...

That black sequined top is SO SICK. Like I really need one in my life now. Love it paired with your casual cutoffs. <3

Liz said...

Great look Erin! Can't wait to see all of your future sequins outfits - cause I need the inspiration :)

Thanks for being inspirational friend!

GoodFrameofMind said...

I love how the sequined top is becoming a daytime look, so fun!

Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

I love the wise words from the other commenters about sequins. And I need to follow their and your advice - totally rocking my black sequined skirt before this time next week!

BTW your outfit is fab, I dig that top and the contrast with the cutoffs. And I want your ring!

Rebecca said...

I think that I would spend way too much money if I had your job. I love the boots!

Anonymous said...

i love that jen snagged that top for you! it looks awesome.

Ms. Falcon said...

love your boots... so cool.
the sequintop looks so good to those denim shorts.


http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

Elissa said...

Some might see your awesome outfit and praise you mightily for it (as they should.) But oh, I see a challenge to wear sequins with denim cutoffs. Challenge accepted. It's on like Donkey Kong.

(Now I know what to wear my new thrifted sequined tops with. Thanks for that. Colored me inspired, as usual.)

www.dresswithcourage.com

Meesh said...

The sequins look surprisingly awesome with jeans! Never thought I'd be coveting a sequinned look now (Golden Girls fashion, here I come.)

HollyDolly said...

I loooove those earrings! So purdy. And I wish I could do sequins like this. I love the sparkle.

Holly
http://hollykeenan.tumblr.com

Vanessa said...

I love the daytime sequins look! I've been searching all my thrift stores for one of those sequintastic mother-of-the-bride jackets that were so popular in the 90s. I've got an idea they would look fabulous with a casual outfit!
You're always an inspiration!

Travellingone said...

I wore sequins to work all the time. I toned it down a bit with skinny indigo jeans, black OTK boots and a black boyfriend jacket. After a while people were, "Oh, that's just her."

Then I got dared to wear a ballgown to work. I didn't, mostly because I didn't have a ballgown. I did wear a chiffony cocktail dress.

C said...

I would never doubt the incredible power of Yen's thrifting skillz. That blouse is awesome, and I LOVE the jewelry.

Anonymous said...

"Black sequins are my neutral." That's right, girl. Make that sass work for you! :)

Anonymous said...

I think rules existing in fashion is an oxymoron.

Erin said...

Shiny object! I love sequins for any time of the day. And now you've reminded me to bust out my black sequinned top this week. Sweet!

SHOEGAL said...

I love that you can wear shorts to work! And those sequins are very Jentine.

Katie | FashionFrugality.com said...

Sequins are the grocery store? I would pass you and want to be your new BFF. :) LOVE THIS TOP!

Katie | FashionFrugality.com said...

Well, I mean AT the grocery store. I need to learn to proofread. :)

Hannah said...

I haven't specifically seen anyone with ripped up patterned tights, but it's Austin, so I'm pretty sure someone out there is wearing that exact combo right now. Love those boots!

Anonymous said...

I love your outfit! I have quite a few fancier things & always wonder how I can wear them in daily life. Thanks for the inspiration!

Angeline said...

eek, LOVE! I think black sequins are a great neutral, just jazzed up. They're so much more elegant than silver or gold sequins. You are rockin' it!

myedit said...

Rules are for fools... new catch phrase. Will reference you of course.
Glad you see you rocking the sequins. My heart is proud!

Anonymous said...

I love the mix of hard and soft fabrics/looks here. I never thought sequins and combat boots would pair so well together! Another amazingly styled outfit!

Mode Plus said...

I love this outfit. And you are right, why wait? I think as long as you're covered, why not.

Edward Parker said...

Thank you for the opportunity to work here. I will do my very best to exceed your expectations of my abilities.